Friday, September 03, 2010

What is a BMT???

When we went to Stanford to start the process of the possibility of a Bone Marrow Transplant *BMT from now on...they talked to us for a couple of hours. Explained some of the process, then handed us a binder that is about 2 inches thick with information to go home and read through. I should have known from that alone the BMT was more complicated than I thought. At that visit they sent me to the lab to draw some blood - 16 and I mean reg. vials of blood were drawn for every possible test and to find a match.
The main reason for the BMT is because the medicine to control the cancer has built up in my body and become toxic to me. It makes me nonfunctional and very sick. We have changed the meds, reduced the meds., and still I can not handle what they do to me. The only possibility of a cure is the BMT. So we push forward and the Lord has paved the way for many things to happen. First, he not only provided me with a match for a donor but 4 matches...this is more than unusual. He has made sure that insurance covers most of the cost...there will be a large out of pocket expense but most is covered. Next, he has provided me with a supportive family and grown children who are willing to chip in to make this happen over the next 4-6 months. Also, I am suppose to be able to come home around Jan. 19th...my birthday is the 20th and to celebrate by coming home cancer free seems to be a dream come true.
The process is long with periods of pain and discomfort, but it is not all bad. Starting the 24th some of the pain begins, then a hospital stay for 6 days begins on the 26th, then one week out patient radiation daily treatments continue with Oct. 8th the actual BMT and a new me is born...Oct. 7th is Larry's b'day...God has great timing huh?! This will be followed by at least 100 days of trying to get the donor immune system up and working inside me, finishing off the cancer and making me stronger. These days will be filled with lab test, dr.s visits, and lots of waiting on the Lord. During those 100 days I am susceptible to any little disease so am not allowed to go out, have visitors, see the kids (little and big germ bombs).. This gives you a little idea of the days that lie ahead for us. Let's just say Larry is not use to being on his own with out me, nor I him. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder....we shall see

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home